Friday, February 23, 2007

Loving Movies

I'm afraid I must be out of things to say, as all I can do these days is write movie reviews. I've been in class all week and have a pretty fried brain so I guess that's the reason. But continuing the movie review theme I have to say that I just love the movie "Friday Night Lights".


You probably have to love football and at least appreciate sports to enjoy this movie, but in my mind it is the perfect football movie. It is a bit over the top, but if it wasn't why would I watch it? I might as well just watch a game! Besides, it is a true story, and they did it up big.
Of course, not everything happens ideally in the film, I wouldn't appreciate that at all, but it does capture all that is great about sports, and bad about it too. (It depicts life pretty good too). And it was the perfect thing for the post-NFL season let down. It may not be one of the all time great films, but when it was over I said, "Now that scratched my right where I itch." It caught me in just the right mood at just the right time, and you know, that's all part of the experience. It may have affected my objectivity, but I felt like there were some great performances and good side stories too. Regardless, what a great movie this one was.

For those interested, the last good thing I wrote on any of my usual themes was actually a comment on Franklin Pyles blog. You can find the link at right. But whatever, I'm sure I'll have something to say soon enough.

2 comments:

Tony Tanti said...

Interesting. I've never seen FNL and have always heard it's good. I'm not the big football fan you are so I don't know if I'll get around to watching it anytime soon.

Nice to hear it was made well though, most sports movies aren't.

Anonymous said...

You're right that it's pretty good acting in that show. Tim McGraw and Billy Bob Thornton especially.

Everyone I know who likes American football seems to love this movie. I only moderately enjoyed it; but then, I'm not much of a sports guy. I really liked that it was so character -driven.

Blogroll