Thursday, February 21, 2008

Three Quotes, Three Stages

While I'm posting things that hang in my study carrell, I might as well also mention the three quotes that have made their way up in sticky tack over the course of my studies this year.

As I'm looking at them scrawled up here to my left in pencil, I realize that they actually align quite nicely with three stages in the story of God's grace in humanity. I suppose I need to dig one up for the new creation that the third stage sets the stage for. We'll have to see about that. So far, here they are, not in order of when I fun-tacked them up, but in "stages":

Creation:

Evening

Here dies another day
During which I have had eyes, ears, hands
And the great world around me;
And with tomorrow begins another.
Why am I allowed two?

-G.K. Chesterton

Torah:

"The commandments work not like science but like art---they are
instructions for how to paint a worthy portrait with our lives."

- Roger Ebert (re. Kryztof Kieslowski's Decalogue film
series)

Church:

"The cross is the extreme demonstration that agape [love] seeks neither effectiveness nor justice, and is willing to suffer any loss or seeming defeat for the sake of obedience."

- John Howard Yoder, 1971.

No comments:

Blogroll