Saturday, October 30, 2010

Three things that are Awesome

1. Arcade Fire


I heard Arcade Fire before but never really thought anything of it. Big mistake. At least now I have four incredible albums (counting the self-titled EP) to catch up on. My curiosity was triggered when someone called the above "the greatest song of the 21st century" thus far. Reading the lyrics and seeing the energy with which it is played I tend to think this comment not out of line.

Wake Up - Arcade Fire

Something filled up
My heart with nothing
Someone told me not to cry

But now that I'm older
My heart's colder
And I can see that it's a lie

Children, wake up
Hold your mistake up
Before they turn the summer into dust

If the children don't grow up
Our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up
We're just a million little gods causing rainstorms
Turning every good thing to rust

I guess we'll just have to adjust

With my lightning bolts a-glowin'
I can see where I am going to be
When the reaper, he reaches and touches my hand

With my lightning bolts a-glowin'
I can see where I am going
With my lightning bolts a-glowin'
I can see where I am going

You better look out below!

See also these fantastic covers by Paulo Nutini (a beautiful mellowed version), Macy Gray (an energetic soulful version), and some grade 6 kids at a school assembly (a touching, even poignant version).


2. 14 volumes of hard-bound goodness:


Karl Barth's Church Dogmatics, 14 volumes, $99!
I must say: If you have spent $100 of your own or your church's money on pop ecclesiology church leadership books then you owe this to yourself and to them.


3. Phoenix on a tour bus:


Phoenix makes me happy. Discovering Les Concerts a Emporter (Take Away Shows) on La Blogoteque slightly happier.

5 comments:

Tony Tanti said...

Arcade Fire is amazing. Have you tried this: http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/

Jon Coutts said...

yeah that thing is cool. have you done James Street?

Jon Coutts said...

someone was asking me what the song "Wake Up" is about, especially the end. I don't know. I mean, the first part really resonates, and I think I get it all the way up to the bit about lightning and look out below. I definitely think it is ending on a postive note, but it seems like a certain acceptance of death is going on. But more than that, I think it all depends on how you interpret the "adjust". The thought that we are all a million little gods causing storms turning everything to rust is pretty despairing (although accurate). So we adjust. We are ready for death. Look out below. I don't know: I like it.

Kampen said...

My order of Church Dogmatics came in the mail today! They look so beautiful on my shelf, and the aroma of the new books...a glorious day, a glorious day indeed!
I was like the kids trick-or-treating last night...hmm maybe we could initiate a trick-or-treating of books? I could get into that. We could dress up as...philosophers and theologians?
My sheer joy carries me away...

Jon Coutts said...

Kampen: no doubt!
I ordered mine to my Canadian address. Getting home will be like Christmas morning.

Blogroll