Saturday, September 26, 2015

Fortys

In my early thirties I compiled lists of the albums, books and movies which had to that point been favourites or left an impression. One for every year. I've been adding to it each birthday since.

This being my fortieth I guess it is a bit of a milestone. It was a good year for reading, especially.

Here they are then: the film, album, novel and book that left the greatest impression on me this year. Only one of them actually came out recently, but they were all new for me.

Together with the prior entries (in the tabs above) they round out a sort of life-top-40.


NOVEL #40:
The Crossing - Cormac McCarthy


(runners up: Marilynne Robinson, Gilead & Home)


FILM #40: 
Calvary - John Michael McDonagh


(runner up: Two Days, One Night)


ALBUM #40:
Helplessness Blues - Fleet Foxes


(runners up: Dawes, All Your Favorite Bands &  Sufjan Stevens, Carrie and Lowell)


BOOK #40:
Ethics - Dietrich Bonhoeffer


(runner up: Pope Francis, Laudato Si)

I highly recommend all of these. Especially those novels: wow. Click the pictures for links. 

No comments:

Blogroll